Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Alerus Financial
This position is responsible for generating new business opportunities and providing superior mortgage services to customers in a professional manner. This involves being the contact for new or existing mortgage customers, working events outside the office to generate contacts, networks and sales referrals.
Employees in this position will be responsible to manage their time, workflow, and output based on market demand for the mortgage products. Responsibilities include evaluating the borrower’s financial condition and needs to determine the type of loan and terms that are most suitable for the borrower. Also responsible for judging suitability of borrowers and counseling the borrower on affordability of loan options.
Job Function Number 1: Loan origination - 50%
- Generate new business in the mortgage loan area, working with the customer from the application process to the loan closing.
- Conduct loan interview with customer to obtain information necessary to complete the loan application and fulfill compliance requirements.
- Understand and maintain knowledge of all mortgage loan products, programs and terms that are available from the investors and government agencies, including FHA, VA, and in-house products.
- Determine loan suitability for the borrower based on borrower characteristics and needs, along with the characteristics of the specific property. Understand the borrower’s full financial condition and payment terms to help determine capacity to repay the loan over the life of the loan.
- Supply customer with all necessary and appropriate compliance notices and disclosures.
- Submit loan package to mortgage loan processor for underwriting.
- Inform customer of loan approval or denial and necessary next steps.
- Schedule loan closing, ensuring our commitment to “never miss a closing”.
- Ensure proper documentation to enable the company to successfully sell the mortgage on the secondary market.
- Maintain knowledge of qualification, compliance and regulatory requirements for in-house mortgage loans and secondary market products.
- Comply with Fair Lending rules to ensure that actions do not create any potential for discrimination based on the products, pricing and terms that are offered to their borrowers.
Job Function Number 2: Sales management process - 15%
- Identify needs and cross-sell or refer products and services to our mortgage and retail customer base; serve as the expert in providing the customer with the appropriate solutions to their financial needs.
- Develop and maintain a high level of product knowledge encompassing real estate products, retail deposit, and lending products and services.
- Participate in setting individual sales goals and initiatives to achieve those goals.
- Understand the benefits of Alerus Financial’s mortgage products and effectively differentiate Alerus Financial from the competition.
- Participate in outside sales events, such as open houses, networking events, meetings with realtors, and home shows to build prospects and network with other professionals in the home industry.
- Maintain active involvement in industry related organizations such as the Board of Realtors and Mortgage Finance Committee.
- Maintain a professional relationship with realtors.
- Responsible for personal marketing strategy, materials and website, ensuring all are aligned with Alerus brand and marketing standards.
Job Function Number 3: Customer management process - 15%
- Retain and expand existing customer relationships.
- Seek to develop a complete relationship with customers by proactively cross-selling products and services to both new and existing customers.
- Compile a complete financial inventory and assist the customer in determining their objectives.
- Meet with the customer to present a product solution.
- Coordinate the implementation of the product recommendations with appropriate product areas.
Job Function Number 4: Delivery of services - 15%
- Maintain quality service standards; take care of the customers’ financial needs.
- Acknowledge and prioritize multiple customer demands to provide maximum service to all customers.
- Develop and consistently demonstrate professional cross-selling skills to maximize business opportunities.
- Work with product specialists to gain knowledge and experience with the different product areas.
Job Function Number 5: Personal growth/development - 5%
- Represent Alerus Financial in community organizations and activities.
- Assume responsibility for career growth and development. Actively pursue continuing education, reading, and self-development to enhance skills.
- Be flexible and adaptive when faced with changing needs of the customer.
- Build solid working relationships with team members, acting as a resource for others whenever possible.
- Recognize stressful nature of work and maintain professional composure, attitude, and behavior at all events.
- Four-year Bachelor’s degree preferred, not required.
- 3 years in financial services industry, specifically mortgage origination and banking and familiarity with compliance and Fair Lending rules.
- Actively involved in the community in areas that offer potential for new business.
- Interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Computer utilization skills.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional appearance.
- Demonstrated social skills.
- Effective communicator.
- Prioritize work effectively and efficiently.
Physical Demands: (must be met with or without a reasonable accommodation)
- Must be able to commute to meet clients for business needs, such as meeting clients for closings.
- Sitting extended periods of time at a desk.
- Extended time is spent reviewing documents, both actual papers or electronic.
- Must be able to access the community copier/scanner/printer.
- Periodically, large paper files need to be moved.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.