Bartlett & West
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Construction Engineering Technician (Temporary)
at Bartlett & West
- Bartlett & West
- Job ID
- FLSA Status
- Service Group
- DOS - Construction Phase
- # of Openings
This entry-level position will perform construction and field observation on projects for assurance that the project has been completed in close compliance with plans and specifications. Once trained, position works independently with minimal supervision and will apply knowledge of construction practices and materials testing requirements to document Contractor’s construction progress and perform quality assurance on projects.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Perform general and advanced construction and field observation.
- Read and interpret construction plans and specifications for quality assurance during construction process.
- Working knowledge of surveying, staking procedures, checking line and grade, and cross sections in order to perform quality assurance review in those areas.
- Conduct materials testing following prescribed procedures on soil, concrete, bituminous, and aggregate materials.
- Maintain log of materials testing results.
- Measure installed quantities, track and report on installed products. Includes calculating areas, distances and volumes.
- Write documentation for as-built drawings when adjustments are made to design.
- Complete detailed construction reports using MS Word, MS Excel and construction management software systems.
- Monitor performance of contractors and have the ability to confront design compliance issues with contractors when identified.
- Perform submittal control reviews for billing client(s).
Knowledge, Skill & Abilities:
- General knowledge of construction practices and methodology
- Working knowledge of surveying, staking procedures, checking line and grade and cross sections
- Understanding of testing procedures
- Ability and aptitude to interpret and understand plans and specifications
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership
- Proficiency in MS Office and technical software with ability to learn CPM and Newforma software programs
- AutoCAD or Arc Map knowledge and/or experience helpful
- Ability to pass safety classes and exhibit safety oriented mentality
- Good math skills (ability to: add, subtract, multiply, divide); must be able to calculate areas, distances, and volumes
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-Motivated and ability to work independently
- Good technical writing skills including ability to use appropriate grammar and proof read
- Ability to pass all certification exams required of clients
- Effective human relations skills to build consensus, resolve conflict and confront/address design compliance issues with contractors
- Ability to embrace new technology and processes
High School Diploma or equivalent required. 2-year degree from technical school or college, or equivalent experience preferred.
0-3 years’ construction, survey, and/or field observation experience. Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel required. Must have ability to pass certifications. Experience and knowledge of materials testing preferred. AutoCAD or ArcGIS experience is helpful.
Certifications have reciprocity in some states. Construction Engineering Technician will need to obtain appropriate certifications for work assignments, and will receive direction from manager on certifications needed. Construction Engineering Technician must pass all required certifications and maintain those certifications throughout employment. Certifications that may be required include but are not limited to:
- Soil Density
- Sewer Testing
- Traffic Control
- Railway Worker On-Track Safety
- E-Rail Safe
- Safety Orientation
- 10-Hour OSHA
- Confined Space
- First Aid, CPR and AED
Overnight travel is required. Construction Engineering Technician travels in company vehicle or personal vehicle to project site staying near project site during the work week with expenses paid. Depending on base location of employee and/or project work, position travels up to 20-80% of the time. Valid driver’s license with good driving record required.
This position is subject to drug and alcohol testing under the authority of the Federal Railroad Administration. The selected candidate will be required to pass a DOT FRA drug test as a condition of employment in this position.
The selected applicant will also be required to complete a back-ground check. An applicant with a confirmed positive test result in the past (or the equivalent) that has not successfully completed all rehabilitation program requirements and follow-up testing requirements is not eligible for this position.
- Lifting: Occasional maximum lift of 100 lbs. from floor to knuckle; occasional maximum lift of 100 lbs. floor to shoulder; occasional maximum lift 5 lbs. from shoulder to overhead; occasional maximum unilateral lift of 25 lbs. from waist to overhead; occasional maximum carry of 80 lbs., 50 feet; occasional maximum vertical pull force of 125 lbs.; occasional maximum grip force 90 lbs.
- Work is primarily outside and will have exposure to extreme weather conditions and nature elements. Will need appropriate clothing for extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, crawl and balance for extended periods of time.
- Position will have extensive walking.
- Must be able to navigate difficult terrain, including un-even surfaces, ditches, steep slopes, etc.
- Must be able to use hands for carrying items, operating devices and/or equipment, and operating ATV vehicle.
- Must be able to lift/carry items (i.e. testing equipment, tools, etc.)
- Work hours dictated by contractors, and can include 12-15 hour work days.
*Post offer, pre-employment lifting test will be required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.