Bartlett & West
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Project Engineer
at Bartlett & West
- Bartlett & West
- Job ID
- FLSA Status
- Service Group
- DOS - MEP
- # of Openings
This position will design engineering projects including focus areas of public works, regional water systems, energy, land development, transportation and/or railroad projects. Working closely with the Project Manager in charge of the project, the position may identify and develop the scope of work, meet customer expectations, assist in pricing contracts, perform engineering services, oversee project quality, identify resources and manage them relative to a specific project, and meet project deadlines and profitability goals. Position may be expected to serve as the Engineer of Record on project plans and documents.
This position specializes in mechanical/electrical/plumbing projects. Project work will involve commercial, industrial, educational buildings and water/wastewater treatment plant facilities.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Develops plans and specifications for mechanical/electrical/plumbing projects.
- Will focus on cooling/heating, duct design & layout, hydronic HVAC system, plumbing, lighting, building power system and power distribution design work.
- Designs new or renovation projects, performs site investigations and documents existing conditions.
- Will act as part of a team of professionals headed by a Project Manager.
- Provides internal technical advice to project managers throughout the company for preparing proposals and developing client presentations.
- Collaborates with a project manager with project planning and provides technical guidance on the development of the project scope, concepts and strategies to be used, task organization, estimates of effort, fee structure and amount, risk management, the identification of other required resources, and schedules necessary to complete the project. Collaborates with the development of cost and budget estimates for the project.
- Directs, manages and participates in the production of the project deliverables, up to and including signing and sealing of work products as a Registered Professional Engineer. Performs or participates in some or all of the following:
- Preliminary studies, plans and cost estimates
- Plan, oversee, and develop final report for studies
- Definition of and oversight of design process
- Designs and plan production
- Conducting project status/review meetings
- Specification and contract document development and production
- Bidding and contract award
- Contract Administration oversight
- Monitors and maintains quality on all facets of the project deliverable
- Performs site investigations and prepares report(s) documenting existing conditions.
- Provides input to the project manager and/or others regarding the monthly project accounting process, including review of time and expense charges to projects.
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends, techniques, strategies, philosophies and methods. Participates in professional organization(s) in the engineer’s area of expertise and/or client focus. Maintains professional licensure in the states required by the company.
- Regularly analyzes specific issues on project manager’s project to recommend solutions that are efficient and cost effective.
- Meets with vendors of equipment on a technical basis with project managers and project teams as directed.
- Selects appropriate materials and equipment for the project application, accounting for desired performance, costs, and operation and maintenance considerations.
- Utilizes AutoCAD and Revit to design and analyze projects.
- Manages engineering work and interfaces with other disciplines as needed.
- Typically handles multiple projects for multiple clients simultaneously.
- Visits clients and job sites as needed to support project(s) and business development needs.
- May provide consultation/guidance to senior technicians/designers for plumbing equipment, HVAC equipment, and electrical equipment selection and layout.
- May serve as consultant on mechanical/electrical/plumbing projects during construction phase.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent listening and reading skills, including proofreading
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain client and employee relationships
- Ability to lead, train, and mentor others
- Self-awareness: Knowing one’s strengths and limits with a strong sense of one’s self-worth and capabilities
- Self-regulation: Keeping emotions in check; trustworthy; taking responsibility for personal performance; flexibility; innovative
- Customer service orientation
- Political awareness: Reads a group’s emotional current and power relationships
- Ability to negotiate
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to achieve business results
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain appropriate amount of detail
- Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing and problem analysis and resolution
- Strong proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Revit
- Ability to embrace new technology and processes including learning other software programs as needed (Adobe, Bluebeam, Deltek Vision accounting and project planning software, Client Relationship Management software, etc.)
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership
- Good time management skills with ability to handle complex deadline-driven workload
- Ability to work independently and within a team successfully
- May have one or all:
- Knowledge in HVAC design
- Knowledge in plumbing and design
- Knowledge of medium voltage systems
Bachelor’s degree in architectural, mechanical or electrical engineering required.
2-6 years engineering experience in mechanical/electrical/plumbing design required. Knowledge/experience of AutoCAD, Revit and MEP software strongly preferred. E.I.T. required, P.E. preferred. Must obtain professional licensure in the states required by company as soon as possible.
Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion, which usually would consist of visiting other office locations, project sites, attending seminars or business meetings. Minimum travel is 10% of the time depending on projects. Certain positions will require more travel. Travel expectations will be communicated through the employee-owner’s manager, and for newly open positions, travel expectations will be reflected in the job posting announcement. Driver’s license with clean driving record required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.