The Bowen Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Personal Financial Counselor
at The Bowen Group
- # of Openings
Get ready to jump on board with the industry leader in the provision of wellness services to the military and veteran communities! The Bowen Group has an outstanding opportunity for a Personal Financial Counselor (PFC). This is a full-time position located at Grand Forks AFB, ND. PFCs provide financial education and counseling services primarily to Service Members and their families affiliated with specific Navy Operational Support Centers but can provide services to all members of the National Guard, Reserve and Active Duty and their families.
What you'll be doing at The Bowen Group
The majority of Service Members and their families need financial counseling and education to assist with establishing a basic level of financial literacy, good financial behavior and habits, long term financial planning to include retirement planning. The PFCs will be responsible for:
- Identifying immediate and long-range measures to increase income, reduce household expenditures, and avoid additional financial burdens.
- Personal budget/financial planning to reduce, eliminate, and avoid debt and to achieve solvency and stability.
- Teaching Service Members (and their families) money management techniques to encourage them to live within their means.
- Understanding credit, finance charges, interest rates and the implications of only paying the minimum amount each month.
- Educating military families on the importance of maintaining excellent credit histories and ratings.
- Establishing, monitoring, and protecting their credit.
- Teaching Service Members to make informed decisions and to be aware of associated costs such as insurance, maintenance, fuel costs, etc.
- Educating and counseling Service Members - about their retirement systems and providing financial models to assist them in establishing a comprehensive retirement plan.
- Assisting with tax planning.
- Teaching Service Members and their families how to save for emergencies, unanticipated contingencies, and both short and long-term goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
PFCs will traditionally provide support in one of three ways. Any combination of the three may be requested by the installation coordinator.
- Face-to-Face financial counseling: PFCs support and educate individuals and families to help address specific needs, including provision of appropriate resource referrals.
- Financial briefings: Facilitate briefings designed to promote awareness and educate Service Members and their families on various personal finance topics. PFCs facilitate requested briefings using a library of approved presentations and handouts on a variety of financial topics.
- Resource table: PFCs perform outreach and engage event attendees in conversations about setting financial goals, guidance to appropriate resources, as well as discussions on all areas of personal finance.
What's a good fit
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree coupled with 3+ years of experience in financial counseling or education.
- A national certification as an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) OR Certified Financial Planner (CFP) OR Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC).
- Counselors shall maintain a valid, unrestricted motor vehicle license.
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- A criminal history background check that includes a credit check, education and employment verification as well as an FBI fingerprint check are required to work in this program.
- Previous military experience (including military spouses and/or as a service provider)
- Ability to travel up to 10% including some weekends with advanced notice.
- Ability to facilitate financial workshops and trainings to large groups and ability to tailor presentations to audiences as needed.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities such as:
- Working knowledge of military, state, federal, and local resources.
- Understanding, sensitivity, and empathy for Service Members and their family members.
- Ability to develop trusting helping relationships.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to use sound professional judgment, ethical practice, and common sense. Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate financial needs of individuals and families.
Other Skills and Abilities: All positions that require access to U.S. Government facilities and systems require U.S. Citizenship, and reliable transportation to travel to assigned locations and nearby facilities.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package to include the following:
- Health, Dental, Vision
- Generous vacation and holiday leave
- Flexible Spending Account (medical and dependent)
- Group Life insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Tuition assistance
- Gym membership discounts
The Bowen Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national origin or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Bowen Group is a government contractor and participates in the E-Verify Program. For more information, please click here.